Sunday, May 30, 2010

MASH 4077th

One of the things I was looking forward to when my husband got stationed here was seeing where the original MASH 4077th was at. I had no idea it was so hard to find any information on it. Today was a very good day for me. We found the MASH 4077th. I am going to figure out the directions on how to get to it from CRC so if others want to see where it is they can drive by and take a look.

We didn't know when we first started out that the MASH 4077th was based on the real experiences of an Army doctor stationed in the 43rd MASH in Uijongbou during the Korean War. For more information go to these articles.
M*A*S*H Legacy Lives on in Korea-Based Unit
Budget Constraints Could be the Downfall of Historic Mash Unit's Korea Home.
Division Medical Officers Follow Hawkeye's Steps.

Enjoy the pictures. Like any military post they don't like you taking pictures. You can see the Installation 1398 sign in the background on the opposite side of the road from the phone booth. Across from that is where the famous Rosies bar was located along with the path leading up to where the helicopter pad used to be.


4 comments:

  1. Cami, thanks for posting this. I first tried to find the 4077 in 2008 when I moved to Seoul. Now (8/2012) I'm leaving, and I decided to make one more attempt. Hopefully your information here will help me figure it out.
    -Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg…. It’s so incredibly amazing the amount of interest that is drawn to MASH unit due to the popularity from the broadcasted t.v. show. I was born at Youngsan Army Hospital in Seoul and lived close by Camp Red Cloud until I migrated to US in 1972. As a child I was treated for 2nd degree burns to my hands from “boiling water” and was rushed and treated by the MASH Units team of doctors and nurses. When they were done treating my burn injuries both of my wrists and hands looked as if I was wearing pair of white boxing gloves…. move over Muhammad Ali!😁
      I was only 6 years old and to this day I could still remember the scent of PHisoDerm Solutions in the Green bottle mixed into to a stainless steel bowl half filled with tepid water, as they gently placed my badly blistered hands into the bowl firstly before pulling off my dead skin as it a rubber gloves. The doctors and nurses were so kind and gentle and all the whilst keeping me calm and entertained. I’m in my early 60’s and yet I have always remembered them with deep gratitude and recalled their smiling young 20-something faces and their laughters so full of life and energy and I know most of them most likely are no longer around with us. But I like to Thank them all for saving my hands and no scars due to their treatment! I’ve returned to Camp Red Cloud in 1984 and the MASH Unit was still there and running, although I didn’t make my way inside into the facility as my heart yearned to.πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜” I am saddened that Rosie’s Bar was torn down and what a shame…. because it’s part the history that should have been preserved!
      Thank you, for posting and sharing on this site! Thanks for the walk down the memory lane!
      Jean

      Delete
  2. Rosie's has been torn down.

    Tony John
    CPT, MS
    154th Med. Det. ( PM )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was with the 377th Air Ambulance Company on the hill at Camp Mosier my wife's grandfather used to own the land that the camp was built on in the early 50's

    ReplyDelete